Thursday, Oct. 19 from 10 am – Noon
On October 19th, 2023 the lights will shine a little less, and the sounds will be more quiet. This will happen from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM when the South Carolina State Fair hosts a Sensory Friendly Morning on Exceptional Citizens Day at the Fair.
Sensory Friendly Morning Highlights
- On Thursday, Oct. 19, children and adults with autism and other sensory processing disabilities are invited to enter the fair up to one hour before the gates officially open at 11:00 am.
- If you buy tickets some rides will be running without music or lights from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- All rides and games will start at 12:00 PM
- Buildings will be quieter places from 10 AM to 12:00 PM
- Food will start at 10 a.m.
- Quiet walking acts will perform starting at 10 a.m.
- You can visit the Petting Zoo, Heritage Village, Princess Diana and Remembering our Fallen exhibits.
- The barns will be open. Owners will be glad to have guests see the animals and their morning routines.
- You can also visit the Pro Kitchen Cookie Kitchen.
- You can bring your noise-cancelling headphones.
- When you hear the National Anthem over the speakers this means that the noise of the fair will be loud again.
- If you need a quiet space when the Fair is loud again, you can visit the Cantey Building.
- You should only carry a clear bag into the Fair.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no need to pre-register for this event.
Parking is available on the fairgrounds in the Lexington Medical Center Fair Park. Parking will open at 9 a.m. at Gate 6.
It costs $10 to park. You can only pay for parking using a credit card.
The fair address is 901 George Rogers Blvd., Columbia, S.C.
There are accessible spots. If your group is riding a bus and all accessible spots have been used, the bus can let you off at the fair gate and then go to park.
People with sensory processing disabilities with one personal care attendant, friend or family member can enter the fair at no cost on Thursday, Oct. 19.
All guests of the Fair will enter through the metal detectors at the gate. A metal detector is a special device that helps you find any hidden metal objects that people might be carrying. You may hear some beeps when your bag is being checked.